Friday, November 05, 2004

First Steps Toward Getting My Groove Back

Me...I am like many women who are mothers. I find myself so involved in raising my 4 and a half year old daughter that along the way I lost myself. Please understand that I so love parenting my daughter Elizabeth, but recently I have not felt so good about myself. I was once a very savvy fashion forward interesting woman in my own right. I would like to get that back and still be a good mother and role model for my daughter. In short, I need to get my groove back. I have decided to be my own life coach and get my groove back. First things first. I have decided to do three things for myself.

Exercise - This is pretty simple. The Oxygen Channel offers a great Yoga class called "Inhale" which airs every weekday at 6:00 a.m. I set the alarm for 5:50, change into some more comfortable clothing in the event my pajama's won't do for class that day. Make a quick dash to the kitchen for some water and I am ready for class. Then a quick shower and it is time to get Elizabeth up to start her day. Elizabeth attends a local Montessori School for three hours a day, five days a week.

Updating my wardrobe - The Gap and Old Navy have some pretty great basics. I have purchased basic turtle necks, blouses, trousers and skirts. I have jazzed up my outfits with accessories like scarves from TJ Maxx, hair accessories from Target and shoes from some bargain stores. I have also found that Ebay is a great resource for clothing. There are a couple of great sellers like Oogieman and 123Mice that sell discounted Gap and Banana Republic clothing.

Join a Book Club or just start reading - I plan to join a book club in January but until then I have induldged myself in reading some great books. I have recently read "I Don't Know How She Does It", "Bang" by Linda Kaplan Thaler and "Bergdorf Blondes".

Get a Hobby - I am still working on this one...I am trying to just pick one. I enjoy crocheting, knitting, painting and sewing. I think in picking just one, I will be more likely to finish a project and feel good about myself.




No comments: